Otherwise known as progressive lenses, multifocal lenses allow your glasses to accommodate more than two lens prescriptions, with your resulting glasses having different areas dedicated for a better field of view close-up, far away, and everything in between.
By knowing which area of the vision achieves which function, you’re able to best direct your sight to match your circumstances, whether you’re driving, using a computer, shopping, reading or walking down the street. Ultimately, the goal is that your eyes will be able to seamlessly adapt through the lens and continue to provide a clear field of vision no matter where you look, with you barely noticing the transitions.
In terms of how the lenses are designed, generally speaking, longer-distance vision is achieved through the upper part of the lens, intermediate vision is through the middle of the lens, and near vision is through the lower part of the lens - but this can vary depending on your needs, and something that your optometrist will discuss with you.
What are the benefits of multifocal glasses?
- Multifocal lenses eliminate the need for swapping between different glasses for different activities, giving you more freedom with less hassle, and less forgetful moments of not having the right pair of glasses with you
- A great option for those with presbyopia, a natural loss in our ability to focus on nearby objects, which can cause issues when shifting between looking at long and short distances
- Saves eye strain in those moments when switching from one pair of glasses to another with a different prescription, which can all add up
- Multifocal lenses are custom-designed by our optical team, prescribed in a range of ways to best suit your lifestyle and vision needs, with a range of coatings and additional features to help you make the most of your sight every day
- Minimise your distortion and blurriness as you move from side to side
- Multifocal lenses have no distinct line separating the different prescription zones, unlike the clear distinction on bifocals, offering obstruction-free vision
Our eye care professionals are dedicated to helping you get the most out of your eyesight and optimise your quality of life, every day. We know the immense value that having well-matched lenses and frames can create for the lives of our clients, and offer high-quality and innovative lenses and features, while going above and beyond to support our clients throughout the assessment and prescription process.
To contact one of our friendly store teams here.